Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Dukes of Hazzard

Rating: B+

I remember laying on the floor each Friday night watching CBS at 8 o'clock for my favorite TV show; The Dukes of Hazzard. The adventures of Bo and Luke and especially Daisy sure helped me jump my bike off of everything that I could. When I heard they were making a movie, I was excited. When I heard who was in it, I was less than excited. It seems that nothing in the movie except the car and the character names was the same as the show we all know and love. I got a chance to see the new movie for free thanks to my station's sneak preview.

And you know what? I loved it! It is not a lot like the old series, and it's not very appropiate for the younger viewers with the language and some adult themes. The comedy is fantastic and the car chases are the best I've seen in a long while. There are a few jokes that I don't know if anyone outside of Atlanta will fully appreciate. The confederate flag is still on the car, which I thought was good that the PC police didn't have someone remove it, but it does take a verbal beating several times.

Everyone you know from the series is here, Bo (Seann William Scott), Luke (Johnny Knoxville), Daisy (Jessica Simpson), Uncle Jessie (Willie Nelson), Boss Hogg (Burt Reynolds), and Roscoe (M.C. Gainey). Even Flash is there, and he was also present at the preview, very cool. I enjoyed Knoxville's portrayal of Luke better than Scott's Bo. And Scott needs a good shave, he just looks wierd with that beard. Jessica Simpson is really hot of course as Daisy, but there was something wrong with her face, not that I was looking a whole lot. Willie Nelson is right on as Uncle Jessie, a moonshine runnin, joke cracking, horny old man. If there was a glaring dark spot on this movie, it was the casting of Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg. I can accept a different Roscoe, or Bo or whatever, but Burt as Boss Hogg was just terrible.

Of course there are mysterious dealings going on in Hazzard county and of course Boss Hogg is behind them, and of course it's up to the Dukes to save the day. That much hasn't changed.

Overall, not too bad. It was better than I expected, and it surely isn't for the kiddies with the language and pot jokes and sexual innuendo. There will probably be a sequel, so look for that. So, swallow your pride and check it out, just leave the kids with a babysitter.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Thumper said...

Good review. I will probably see this flick on a rainy day later on dvd. Jessica's face - probably the overdone makeup? :)

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Steve Boomer Sutton said...

I like looking at Daisy. That's about all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home